From the legendary dogfights over the battlefields of World War One… to repelling the Luftwaffe in World War II… to helping maintain our nuclear deterrent during the Cold War… and keeping a watchful global presence today, the Royal Air Force has played a vital role in our country’s defence over the last 100 years.
Now, as the RAF celebrates its centenary, Danbury Mint is proud to present a magnificent collection that pays tribute to its achievements since it was formed in 1918. This is a complete set of 925 sterling silver £2 coins finished to a proof standard, together with six Royal Mail stamps, housed in a luxurious wooden display.
The proof coins feature:
- Spitfire – is widely regarded as the most famous plane used by the RAF. It was produced in larger numbers than any other British aircraft before or since.
- Vulcan – part of the United Kingdom’s nuclear deterrent at the height of the Cold War and instantly recognisable with its delta wings.
- Sea King – was deployed in a Search and Rescue role for the British military, operating around our coastline and as far afield as Cyprus and the Falkland Islands.
- Lightning II – this stealth fighter represents Britain’s next generation of combat aircraft.
- RAF’s famous emblem – this collection is completed by the organisation’s emblem featuring the iconic eagle and crown.
With your proof coins you will also receive the six Royal Mail RAF centenary stamps. Each of these mint condition stamps depicts famous aircraft from 100 years of the RAF’s history, with original artwork by aviation artist Michael Turner. The Sopwith Camel F1, Hurricane Mark I, Vulcan B2, Lightning F6, Nimrod MR2 and Typhoon FGR4 are all included!
A collection honouring the RAF centenary deserves the finest coins; therefore each of these incredible coins will arrive in flawless proof condition, the highest grade possible. As the perfect complement, you will receive a luxurious wooden display chest at no extra charge along with your second delivery. Crafted especially for this collection, the chest includes a lock and key, as well as a drawer to store your Certificate of Authenticity. You will receive one coin every other month until your collection is complete
Display Chest is 11 ½" x 6½” x 3".