In the early hours of 6th June 1944, Spitfires took part in one of the largest invasions in history – Operation Overlord. Although it is the most iconic British aircraft, its role in D-Day is often overlooked. The Spitfire provided vital air cover to the ground troops who invaded the shores of Normandy. Without the Spitfires, the Luftwaffe could have performed deadly ground attacks jeopardising the success of the mission.
To commemorate the largest seaborne invasion in history, Danbury Mint presents… Guardian of the Skies.
- Using expert guidance from our military historian, our craftsmen have successfully captured every detail. The Spitfire Mk IX features the RAF roundel, and the .50 calibre machine guns and 20mm cannons, and much more.
- Beneath the Spitfire you’ll find a scene of landing crafts heading towards the shores of Normandy.
- A genuine silver sixpence from 1944.
- A specially-crafted wooden base.
- The new 2019 commemorative £2 coin in BU condition. It is issued by the Royal Mint to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the largest seaborne invasion in history.
Actual size of sculpture is 9” x 5” x 3” tall.
Delivery of items which are in stock will usually take place within a week. Personalised products can take up to 6 weeks. If your item is out of stock, we will contact you as soon as possible with an update. If you have a particularly urgent order, please call Customer Services on 0344 557 5600 (Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Guarantee & Returns
Any time you place an order with Danbury Mint, your satisfaction is guaranteed. If you are not delighted with any purchase, you may return it within 90 days of receipt for a FULL refund – including our postage & handling charge!
You can download a free post label here.
Items can be returned using the downloadable returns label below. We recommend obtaining a certificate of posting (free) if returning via the post office. Please include all paperwork with your return. If you have any questions or would prefer us to send you a returns label by post, please email Customer Services.
If you have a printer and wish to print off a returns label, please click on the link below. Note that you must have Adobe Acrobat installed in order to view and print PDF files.
How to Return a Danbury Mint Item (PDF)
For Danbury Mint USA returns click here