After an extensive search, the deep-ocean archaeologists of Odyssey Marine Exploration located the SS Republic®*, an American Civil War-era paddlewheel steamship lost in a violent hurricane off the Georgia coast in October 1865. Known as one of America’s most famous shipwrecks, in her hold was a treasury of gold and silver U.S. coins bound to rebuild New Orleans after the American Civil War. Now, you can own one of the few pieces released from this historic cache – a gorgeous Seated Liberty Half-Dollar struck in the 1850s by the famous New Orleans Mint, the only mint in U.S. history to be operated by three different governments! The coins were individually lifted from the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean with a specially designed soft silicone limpet to preserve their delicate surfaces. With your order, you will receive the following:
- One authenticated, certified, and encapsulated 1850s Seated Liberty Half-Dollar, bearing the official certification “SS Republic” on its holder.
- A deluxe wooden display chest, the top bearing a brushed steel engraving of the SS Republic.
- A National Geographic DVD telling the amazing story of the SS Republic and its recovery.
- A FREE copy of Lost Gold of the Republic, the book that chronicles the history of and search for the SS Republic and its miraculous recovery.
- A special gift only available to our UK customers – a British ink well recovered from the SS Republic.
Considering the legacy of the SS Republic’s treasure and the limited number of its coins in the marketplace, you’ll want to act quickly to make this unique conversation piece part of your coin collection.
Actual size of chest is 10½” x 7½” x 2”.