A PERSONAL TOUCH Find gifts that make it personal! Shop Now
Guardian of the Skies – The D-Day Spitfire
In stock. Ships in 3-4 business days.
In the early hours of 6th June 1944, Spitfires took part in one of the largest invasions in history – Operation Overlord. Although it is the most iconic British aircraft, its role in D-Day is often overlooked. The Spitfire provided vital air cover to the ground troops who invaded the shores of Normandy. Without the Spitfires, the Luftwaffe could have performed deadly ground attacks jeopardising the success of the mission.To commemorate the largest seaborne invasion in history, Danbury Mint presents… Guardian of the Skies.
- Using expert guidance from our military historian, our craftsmen have successfully captured every detail. The Spitfire Mk IX features the RAF roundel, and the .50 calibre machine guns and 20mm cannons, and much more.
- Beneath the Spitfire you’ll find a scene of landing crafts heading towards the shores of Normandy.
- A genuine silver sixpence from 1944.
- A specially-crafted wooden base.
- The new 2019 commemorative £2 coin in BU condition. It is issued by the Royal Mint to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the largest seaborne invasion in history.